ESPNSTAR.com

BBC Sport | Video and Audio | UK Edition

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Roy Hodgson not surprised to be given England manager's job

Roy Hodgson says he was not surprised to get the Football
Association's call to become the new England manager - despite
widespread expectations that Harry Redknapp would succeed Fabio
Capello.
Hodgson appointment: key points
*. Unanimous decision by FA selectionpanel
*. More than two candidates on FA shortlist
*. Hodgson picked as preferred boss aone month ago
*. Wayne Rooney - suspended for twogames - will go to Euro 2012
*. Hodgson to mull over England captaincy options
*. Plans to talk to John Terry and Rio Ferdinand
*. Will not name squad until after Premier League season ends
*. Aims to win Euro 2012
FA chairman David Bernstein revealed the four-man selection committee
made the decision to move for the West Brom boss a month ago but only
announced their formal approach on Sunday.
Tottenham manager Redknapp was not contacted about the job and the
formalities were completed on Hodgson's four-year contract at Wembley
on Tuesday, with the 64-year-old insisting his track record always
made him a realistic contender to take the job.
Analysis
Phil McNulty Chief football writer, BBC Sport
"If there was any danger of Redknapp being the spectre at Hodgson's
Wembley feast, the emphatic support of Bernstein and the FA's director
of football development Sir Trevor Brooking went a long way towards
banishing it."
Read more of Phil's blog
He said: "Given my CV, I had the right to hope and harbour the wish
that the FA, after going through the process, would choose me. I
didn't expect though.
"I've never expected but always hoped - nobody should expect. I
wouldn't say I was particularly surprised. I was always hoping the
choice would be made and would work in my favour.
"It's wrong to 'expect' to be approached. Whenever the England job has
been mentioned and I've been asked my feelings I've always said it is
up to the FA to take the timeneeded to go through the process."
Support for Hodgson on Twitter
*. Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere: "Proved he is a top manager at
international level so don't see no reason why he can't do it - For
England....good choice in my opinion!"
*. WBA winger Chris Brunt: "Congratulations to Roy Hodgson, he will do
a good job for England like he has done for us over last 18 months.
Great coach and a good man"
*. WBA striker Peter Odemwingie: "Good luck to Roy Hodgson with his
new job. Was a pleasure working with him. Hope he will do well withthe
english national team"
*. MOTD presenter Gary Lineker: "Good luck to Roy Hodgson. Let's give
the fella a chance"
Hodgson admitted he would have to gain the backing of the players,
including some who had publicly stated their backing for Redknapp.
Striker Wayne Rooney had said on Twitter following Capello's
departure: "Got to be English to replace him. Harry Redknapp for me."
Defender Rio Ferdinand tweeted: "Harry Redknapp would be my choice by
a distance."
But Hodgson, who has managed 18 teams - including three national sides
- during a 36-year coaching career, said he was ready to get
theirsupport.
"Every coach has got to win over the players. It's not the first time
I've stepped into a group I don't know but my CV suggests I've
succeeded fairly well with that," said the formerInter Milan, Fulham
and Liverpool manager.
"Every coach taking a new job needs to make certain they get the
players on side, united behind the cause. We're England, the England
football team. We interest a lot of people. I have a lot of
responsibility but then so do the players."
Hodgson appointment not based on cost - Bernstein
He also insisted he would not be offering Redknapp sympathy at failing
to land the England job after receiving a congratulatory voicemail
from the man regarded as his closest rival for the post.
"We've been friends for years and hewouldn't welcome sympathy,"
addedHodgson. "There may be an empathythough, certainly. He has
already sent me a nice voicemail congratulating me and I'd like to
think I would have done the same for him.
"I hope we will remain friends. We've unwittingly become rivals but it
won't affect our relationship. He's dealt with it well in all his
interviewsand I appreciate it."
Hodgson also insisted his family and close associates made no attempt
to dissuade him from taking the England job, despite the enormous
pressures involved.
He said: "No - no-one tried to talk meout of it. I realise what I'm
getting into. I'm not naïve. I have been in football a long while and
know we're dealing with enormous expectations."

No comments:

Post a Comment